Certificate and Skills: which earns more?

How would you feel if your child is earning a salary of 210 Million Naira (500,000 Euro) per week not because of the certificate he or she graduated with, but because of the talent they possess?
'To all parents with kids out there, if your teenage child comes to you that they want to learn a trade, skill or develop a talent, something other than education, please don’t turn them down, it is no foolishness or juvenile delinquency, they have a vision which you their parent are not seeing and in order not to kill this dream and vision, give them all the support they need. Many years ago Cristiano Ronaldo went to his mother to tell her that he wants to stop schooling and wants to go and play football, the mother, despite knowing the importance of education did not ‘ditch’ the teenager but supported him all the way, today what is the case, His son is one of the highest paid athletes and most accomplished footballers in the world with a salary of 210 Million Naira (500,000 Euro) per week. A five time world best footballer.

It truly doesn’t matter how you start, but how you will end. Don’t force your children to school, and by so kill their aspirations, if they chose to start life pursuing their dreams, developing their skills and talents rather than education, respect their wish and let them be. You are not seeing, and cannot see what they are seeing. Don’t force them to school and by so kill their dreams, and when they graduate they now become a burden to you and pain to the society because getting a certificated job these days is tantamount to world War One, where you the same parents will be the one that will start shopping for job for them
I, had a similar experience myself, I have always wanted to be two things in life: footballer or banker, and after writing JAMB and WAEC for four years, with multiple attempts, in the frustration, I remember going to my Dad then to tell him to sponsor me abroad to go and pursue my dream of playing football abroad, guess what I was ‘ditched,’ and told to go school, the foolishness in me then was “going abroad” to ply my trade because all the people I was admiring then: Jay Jay Okocha, Kanu Nwankwo, Victor Ikpeba were playing abroad, I failed to realize that I would have actually started the whole process in my local club/team here in Warri, my mum too almost 'chopped off' my neck when my academic grades started falling as a result of always going to the field to play football rather than studying, that was how that dream died, today I am a graduate earning minimum wage, where I will have to work for 40 days (not 30 days oh) before pay alert will come, and will always be praying for month to end, when people are maximizing their life and earnings. every now and then when i see footballers on TV, i sometimes frown, because they are doing what i can do, but here am i not doing it because of lack of support and encouragement on my God given skill
If my kid(s) walk up to me tomorrow to say: “Dad, I want to stop schooling to go and learn trade (Mechanic, Tailoring, sporting etc.) I won’t stop that kid; I will look for the best Skill acquisition center or sporting academy and enrolled them there. Do you know that the celebrated Sochiro Honda (Owner of Honda motors – Japan) started as a ‘common’ Motorcycle Mechanic? Do you also know that the celebrated Mary Kay (Owner of Mary Kay cosmetics) started as a ‘common’ beautician? Recognized fashion brand such as Gucci, Kelvin Klein, Yomi casual, Mudi (Warri Boy) the Nigerian fashion designer, that the respected king of Morocco visited in his shop here in Nigeria are all tailors? Do you know that George Weah the president of Liberia today started life playing street football? He opted to play football than going to school it was after he has retired from football in a career that spanned over 30 years that he went back to school and in a space of just 12years he bagged an MBA degree. The school is always there, the primary, secondary and tertiary school I finished from are still there, they have not moved or closed shop.
Never you in your life compare what your certificate will earn you to what your talent will earn you! If you take a statistics of the billionaires out there less than ten percent are graduates, the rest ninety percent are not, they are a product of raw talent and skill development.

Comments